MATLAB- Features, Application, Working and Career Scope
MATLAB is produced by MathWorks (Natick, MA), and is one of a number of commercially available software packages. It is widely used in many different fields of engineering and science, and this is increasingly required by employers of graduate engineers, with many job adverts specifically mentioning knowledge of MATLAB as an essential skill.
WHAT IS MATLAB
MATLAB is a fourth generation programming language and numerical analysis environment. It is the abbreviation of the term ‘ Matrix Laboratory’. It integrates computation, visualization, and programming in an easy-to-use environment. It comes with its own IDE and set of libraries. It’s an advanced and more sophisticated version of calculator that can be run on computer and mobile devices. It is designed specifically for engineers and scientists to analyze and design system. It was originally written to provide easy access to matrix software. It allows to solve many technical computing problems, especially those with matrix and vector formulations, in a fraction of the time.
Some features of MATLAB :
- Computation of numeric data
- Creating graphics for specific use
- Analyzing data
- Modelling and simulating data.
USES OF MATLAB
- Plotting graphs for larger data sets
- Developing algorithms
- Creating interfaces for the user that is the GUI and other applications that is the API
- Numerical computation of Matrices
- Data analysis and visualization
- Performing numerical linear algebra
- Implement and test algorithm easily
- Use large database of built in algorithm
- Symbolic can easily be done
- Develop the computational codes
- Develop application with graphics user interface
- Call external libraries
- The MATLAB Desktop environment, which allows to work interactively with your data, helps to keep track of files and variables, and simplifies common programming tasks
- Technical support from a well-staffed, professional organization
- The ability to auto-generate C code, using MATLAB Coder, for a large (and growing) subset of image processing
- A large user community with lots of free code and knowledge sharing
- Statistics and machine learning- Statistical methods such as descriptive or inferential can be easily implemented.
- Curve fitting- The curve fitting toolbox helps to analyze the pattern of occurrence of data
- Control system – Various controlling techniques such as PD, PI and PID can be visualized
- Signal processing- It provides the opportunity for proper visualization of this
- Mapping – Tools such as time-series, Artificial neural network(ANN), Fuzzy logic or combination of such tools can be employed.
- Financial analysis- Elements such as profitability, solvency, liquidity, and stability can be identified
- Deep learning- It can be used for speech recognition, financial fraud detection, medical image analysis
- Aerospace- This toolbo is used for analyzing the navigation and to visualize flight simulator.
- Electric vehicle designing – Used for modeling electric vehicles
WHY MATLAB IS IMPORTANT
There are many important skills that engineering students develop through learning to use MATLAB .
Companies using MATLAB are
- Volvo Cars
- General Electric
- Defence Research and Development Organization
The average salary of an employee who knows MATLAB is ₹19.1lakhs.
MATLAB is a multipurpose tool. Its main objective is to be the most user-friendly language. It allows matrix manipulations, plotting of functions and data, implementation of algorithms, creation of user interfaces, and interfacing with programs written in other languages, including C, C++, C#, Java, Fortran and Python.It is used by many companies and a lot of new features have been added.