GitHub - Features, Application, Working and Career Scope
GitHub is an increasingly popular programming resource used for code sharing. It’s a social networking site for programmers that many companies and organizations use to facilitate project management and collaboration. GitHub helps every team member work together on a project from any location.
WHAT IS GITHUB
GitHub is a web-based version-control and collaboration platform for software developers. Microsoft, the biggest single contributor and it allows developers to collaborate on a project more effectively by providing tools and to change, adapt and improve software from its public repositories for free. It facilitates social coding by providing a web interface.
Join the Data Science & Analytics community
How GitHub works-
Three important terms used by developers in GitHub are – fork, pull request and merge. A fork, is simply a repository that has been copied from one member’s account to another member’s account. Forks allow a developer to make modifications without affecting the original code. If the developers would like to share the modifications, they can send a pull request to the owner of the original repository. If, after reviewing the modifications, the original owner would like to pull the modifications into the repository, they can accept the modifications and merge them with the original repository.
While Git is a command line tool, GitHub provides a Web-based graphical interface. It also provides access control and several collaboration features, such as a wikis and basic task management tools for every project. It offers the distributed version control and source code management (SCM) functionality of Git.
Join the dynamic Cloud Computing & DevOps community
Join Engineering Communities and Events related to your Career Path.
- It is free, fast and open source
- Multiple developers can work and showcase the project
- It is a repository
- Track changes in code across version
- It allows multiple developers to work on a single project at a time
- Provides good backup and supports Markdown for the issue tracker, user comments , wikis
- It has some of the best documentation around
Join our inclusive and innovative Robotics & Automation Community
- Creating a folder via the Web Interface- It allows to the management of repositories through Github’s web interface.
- Using Git URL Shortener
- File Finder- Besides creating new files, you can also navigate through the files in any repository quickly.
- Using Emoji- It also show emojis in Github.
- Using Command Line Interface- Whilst most people like working using a GUI, there are still some who prefer using CLI (Command Line Interface). This is where Github CLI comes in. Github CLI is initiated with hub. It brings extra commands that can be used along with the git commands
- Map, CSV and 3D Rendering- It supports CSV. If you include a .csv file, it will render the CSV file into an interactive tabular data format. It even allows you to search through it.
- Drag and Drop Gist Code- Gist is Github’s very own facility that allows hosting code snippets. You can also browse and find a large number of code snippets in a variety of languages.
- Linking Lines- Sometimes, you might want to share and point out specific lines within the file of your repository. It allows doing this by adding #L followed by the line number at the end of the file URL .
Be part of the Cybersecurity community
WHY GITHUB IS IMPORTANT
The companies using GitHub are :
- Circle CI
- Digital Ocean
The average salary of an employee who knows Github is ₹19.7lakhs.
Join our inclusive and innovative Blockchain community
GitHub can integrate with common platforms and services such as Amazon, Google Cloud, and Code Climate. It can highlight syntax in more than 200 different programming languages. Git is an immensely popular Version Control System, which allows developers to create a history of changes that occur over time in their code. It creates an intuitive and powerful graphical interface for the Git versioning system.
Join the thriving Product Management community